- Bring your technical expertise in river works and flood protection
- Variety of hands on field work, balanced with policy and strategic focus
- Salary plus Benefits (including health insurance, extra super, birthday leave, flexible/hybrid work, extra leave, cash payments).
In this role you'll be guiding a team of river engineers and engineering officers, developing and managing a work programme in our maintained river networks.
You'll maintain close working relationships with our stormwater, roading, environmental science, hazards and hydrology teams as well as actively engage with our iwi partners, stakeholders and landowner representatives.
There is plenty of variety - one day you will be out on the rivers, working with our operations contractor and speaking with members of the community and the next you could be in the office leading the Rivers and Coastal Structures team, working with other staff and Councillors to develop and deliver river management strategies.
Our role is to provide protection to people and property while helping us to deliver on our obligations to implement Te Mana o te Wai. Some of the conversations you will have to lead will be challenging, but also very rewarding.
Yes, we are looking for a qualified Civil Engineer (or other relevant degree) with a significant number of years post graduate experience in river works and flood protection. However, just as important to us is:
- Your team leadership skills and your ability to take ownership of your work and self-manage
- You're a great communicator who can deliver complex and technical information in a simple and understandable form to your audience
- At your core you're a people person with an enquiring mind and you are prepared to challenge the status quo
- You don't shy away from the tough conversations, and you have an ability to bring people together and explore different solutions
- Our values resonate with you - Innovation (Auaha), Responsibility (Kawenga), Caring/Sharing (Manaakitanga) and Relationships (Whanaungatanga)
- Our benefits package is unique - you customise it to your preferences to include a combination of extra leave, cash payout and additional superannuation contributions
- We prioritise your professional development and give you opportunities to grow
- You'll be part of making things happen for the benefit of our community and our rivers and coastal structures
- Supportive work environment that includes health insurance, flexible/hybrid work options, free parking close by, a day off on your birthday and a place within a team of genuine good sorts!
Up for the Challenge? Apply today.